Leadership, Tangible style
“Do as I say, not as I do!” …or not!
When Tangible Ireland began in 2009, we were experiencing a lot of that kind of leadership in Ireland.
Founder, Raymond Sexton believed that an emphasis on the positive was required.
• What was going well?
• Who were the people driving the success stories?
• Did anyone else believe we were better than our bottom line?
He began to examine what drove excellence in leadership both at home and abroad.
The perspective was that of an engineer and project manager experienced in helping multinationals invest and build facilities in Ireland, a homecomer returned from a decade in Australia, and a closet historian.
Who the Irish are in Ireland and who we become when we go abroad is a fascinating study.*
And the many Tangible ambassadors, partners and guests have joined him in studying it – up close and personally, across the island of Ireland and worldwide.
There have been over sixty Tangible seminars in global cities – Dublin, London, New York and Sydney; regional capitals – Belfast, Limerick & Galway; and in the urban & rural villages that lie at the heart of Irish life and values – Howth, Kilmallock and Crossmaglen.
There’s a common denominator in all these communities. We honor our original associations, whether counties, communities, schools, or team affiliations, we pay it forward and take care of our own. We are industries, joyous, playful and determined.
Here’s what we do:
Imagine the simplicity of a “3 pinned plug” and the energy it channels. It’s the way each Tangible Seminar is designed. We showcase and model the best business and civic leadership in a region by:
• focusing on the maverick and entrepreneurial “live wires” – the local leaders driving change
• highlighting and sharing connections to the startup, trade & inward investment support offered in the Republic and in Northern Ireland
• recognising our citizens at home, abroad and in transition, uniting them in their efforts to prosper both here and across the Diaspora
Here’s what we’ve learned:
• at home and abroad our values never change
• our Diaspora represents our greatest asset; vast supplies of human capital available for spending and investment
• our citizens never cease to be our citizens
Here’s what we believe:
• Personal, business and trade relationships empower us individually & collectively, in our new lands and across Ireland.
• Our citizens never cease to be entitled to be heard.
• At home, abroad or in transition, we owe each other a duty of care, including responsible stewardship of this island, economically, environmentally and politically.
This drive for excellence in leadership and best practices reflects our duty of care to the next generation by making this island fit to come home to, or to never be forced to leave.
We are survivors.
Who we are and who we become, whether we stay here or go abroad needs to reflect our best hope for the future of our Irish or Northern Irish children and grandchildren in the Americas, the EU, the UK, Oz or elsewhere.
To join us in San Francisco on Thursday, 21. July or at the annual Ambassador Summer School here in Ireland follow the links to register.
For a great summary of why Tangible travels the globe in search of “live wires” – here it is:
*…who we become when we go abroad as described by one of our own: